Posting Date Apr 07, 2021
Job Number 21019944
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? N
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Oversees day-to-day Android mobile application development projects and engineering while leading continuous improvement on process definition and compliance. Directly manages software engineers and project managers. Delivers on commitments to discipline partners and collaborates with architects on major initiatives such as reservations initiatives across multiple channels (voice, web, mobile, API). Functions as the technical decision-maker and problem solver to deliver projects on-time and on-budget. Promotes project quality and manages the application development team to promote satisfaction with all technology teams and business partners by following standard application development tools and processes. Manages continuous improvement program to improve quality, consistency, and client satisfaction.
Education and Experience
o Enterprise-scale native mobile application development across multiple platforms with a strong capability in Android.
- 10+ years of application development leadership experience that includes:
o Extensive experience in development of a variety of large apps supporting millions of users at scale in Android.
o Management of multiple Omni-Channel development efforts integrating with multiple back-end systems
o Experience with Automation, CI/CD, Release Management processes and Application Deployments to app stores.
o Familiarity with Enterprise level SDKs for Analytics, Networking, Customer Engagement, Application Performance Monitoring
o Strong understanding of API platforms, back end services, database and networking components of full-stack infrastructure
- Direct management of complex budgets in excess of $5M+ annual direct and indirect costs
- Direct management of cross-functional, sourced, or matrixed teams
- Undergraduate/graduate degree or equivalent education + experience
- Demonstrated success leading medium- to large-scale initiatives/transformations
- Proven management experience in strategic planning and budgeting within one or more business groups
- Experience with and knowledge of IT outsourcing activities in a managed services environment
- Proven management experience in application development across Waterfall and Agile environments.
- Proven knowledge of SDLC; good understanding of ITIL v3 Framework
- Proven knowledge of Agile methodology; preferably SAFe Agile
- Experience with mixed and offshore delivery models
- Good process management, negotiating, influencing and problem resolution skills
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Knowledge of business environment, service requirements and hospitality culture
- Knowledge of / familiarity with iOS as well
- Demonstrated ability to assess customer/client needs, creatively approach solutions, decide and influence appropriate courses of action
- Ability to understand and communicate the lifecycle of technologies and applications and to translate into business strategies for the client organizations.
- Solid understanding of IT financial structures and ability to manage to corporate financial processes and standards - including drivers of process costs
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate complex technical ideas in easy to understand business terms
- Ability to accomplish results through others, particularly by establishing relationships, effective controls and leading in a managed service environment
CORE WORK ACTIVITIESManaging Application Development Standards, Processes, and Tools
o SDLC standard tools and processes for both waterfall and agile development
- Works with direct reports to facilitate consistency of service delivery across client groups
- Facilitates compliance with the standard set of application development tools and processes that will drive consistency and predictability throughout the SDLC for all client groups including:
o Estimating standard tools and processes, incorporating flexibility for small and large projects
o Deployment standard tools and processes
Managing Day-To-Day Relationships with Teams
- Monitors projects for adherence to defined application development processes
- Communicates to Application Development leaders opportunities to create broader IT related and corporate standards and policies where necessary
- Communicates important application development policy changes that affect service provider and/or Marriott operations
o Provides project management of business projects
- Manages application development projects in partnership with IT teams, business partners and providers
o Oversees effective reporting within application development team
o Leads project reviews with team on application development projects
o Manages day-to day relationships with all IT teams to promote the delivery of services that meet or exceed the client expectations
o Monitors projects for alignment with defined business case process
o Drives timely resolution of escalated service delivery problems and minimizes the impact of any client service delivery issues
o Manages, and improves service level reporting for application development
o Provides early warning to the appropriate Business Partnership & Planning leaders and team regarding degraded or missed service levels
o Assists with application development and maintenance of service provider project management standards and tools
o Participates in client portfolio and demand management processes, and engages service providers to ensure client satisfaction
o Validates the service provider(s) performs the services agreed to by the master services agreement in a manner that is consistent with both the spirit and the letter of the agreement
- Works with application development service providers
o Works with team to progress the service providers services to match client needs
o Facilitates team and service provider compliance with the agreement
o Validates service levels meet business needs
o Facilitates the definition and enforcement of good service provider contracts
o Provides input to IT’s business strategy and planning as needed
- Supports the IT organization
o Supports and follows defined IT Governance decision rights, standards and practices
o Emphasizes accuracy and effectiveness of estimating and planning management with team
o Provides input to business/discipline and continent IT budgets Implementing and Managing Continuous Improvement Program
- Drives adoption of CMMi or similar metrics to demonstrate continuous improvement and alignment with the industry
- Demonstrates continuous improvement through metrics of quality consistency and client satisfaction
- Works with application development service providers, IT teams, and business partners to implement continuous improvement activities
- Responds to issues identified in project surveys or other feedback processes, to continually improve client satisfaction
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Developing Others - Plans and supports the development of others’ skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively; provides high visibility to individuals with potential; offers challenging assignments that build confidence and credibility and provides such individuals with a personal vision for their future.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
o Technical Intelligence: knowledge and ability to identify technological opportunities and threats that could affect the future growth and survival of the business.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
o Technology Life Cycle: knowledge of the Life Cycle of technologies and how applications, infrastructure, and processes relate to these timelines.
o IT Systems: Knowledge of IT systems supporting the business including benefits, requirements, costs, justification, and operations.
o IT Resources: The ability to secure and manage IT resources to achieve business objectives (e.g., contracts, vendor relationships, financial accountability, portfolio management, information and resource planning) and measure project impact.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Strategy Knowledge - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific strategic work challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.